For any couple, household planning is a vital milestone, which is finest finished when they’re emotionally and financially able to develop into mother and father. For these — married or in any other case — who usually are not able to have a child but, there are a lot of contraceptive choices accessible. For ladies, particularly, it could appear a bit complicated as to which choice to decide on, and why.
Along with that, there are many myths about contraception, which individuals readily consider. On World Contraception Day in the present day, subsequently, Dr Aruna Muralidhar, senior obstetrician and gynaecologist, Fortis La Femme Hospital, Richmond Highway, Bangalore, explains the completely different choices accessible, and the way one can select no matter fits them finest.
In keeping with the physician, contraceptives could also be categorised into 5 classes within the growing order of effectiveness:
1. Pure strategies comparable to avoiding fertile interval, withdrawal, and so on.
2. Barrier strategies comparable to female and male condoms.
3. Hormonal contraceptives comparable to vaginal rings, patches, and mixed oral contraceptive drugs (contraception drugs).
4. Lengthy-acting reversible contraception like intrauterine gadgets (copper-T or hormone-releasing techniques), implants, and injections.
5. Lastly, everlasting strategies comparable to tubectomy or vasectomy (additionally referred to as sterilisation).
“One could select the kind of contraception primarily based on some elements: how efficient it’s, doable dangers and negative effects, plans for future being pregnant, private selection, whether or not there’s a medical downside that may have an effect on the efficacy, and whether or not any present remedy could trigger drug interactions with the contraceptive,” says Dr Muralidhar.
Ask these questions:
* Do I would like contraception sometimes and solely throughout intercourse? These could embrace barrier strategies comparable to condoms.
* Am I snug utilizing contraceptives inserted within the vagina? These embrace vaginal rings, diaphragms.
* Will I have the ability to keep in mind to take the contraceptive daily? These embrace oral contraceptive drugs.
* What if I can not use contraceptives containing estrogen? (These ladies embrace people who smoke above 35, overweight ladies, those that take sure sorts of remedy, or those that have sure forms of circumstances like poor circulation and migraines with aura). Their choices would come with condoms, copper-T, hormonal intrauterine system, implants, and injections that comprise solely progesterone hormone.
* I’ve accomplished my household and wish long-term contraception. These embrace Intrauterine gadgets releasing copper or hormone and final for 3-5 years or everlasting sterilisation like tubectomy.
“When you have had intercourse with out utilizing any safety or have any doubt concerning the right use of any of those contraceptives, using emergency contraceptives could develop into crucial. These embrace taking the emergency tablet as quickly as doable and no later than 72 hours or getting a copper-T inserted no later than 5 days from the time of intercourse,” the physician warns.
Contraception at completely different occasions of life
– Sexually energetic younger ladies profit from using twin safety — utilizing each obstacles comparable to condoms and one other more practical contraceptive like contraception drugs or intrauterine gadgets. Condoms additionally stop sexually transmitted ailments. If remembering to take drugs is a matter, long-term contraceptives might be thought-about.
– Girls who’ve simply delivered should not rely fully on lactation amenorrhoea (the part of no durations throughout breastfeeding). They need to search contraceptive recommendation 6 weeks after their supply and ideally plan for an 18–24-month hole between pregnancies. For the primary 6 months, progesterone-only drugs can safely be used. Lengthy-term reversible contraceptives are also splendid after finishing the household.
– Girls over 40 additionally want efficient contraception as there’s a chance of falling pregnant till menopause. The typical age of menopause in Indian ladies is 46 years. Choices comparable to contraception drugs, long-acting reversible contraceptives, and even everlasting strategies are appropriate.
📣 For extra life-style information, observe us on Instagram | Twitter | Fb and don’t miss out on the most recent updates!